Ostara or the Spring Equinox will be celebrated on the 23rd of September in the Southern Hemisphere this year.
The earth is starting to awaken and is reborn as the fathers mighty rays warm the land.
I have put together a list of simple, economic rituals for marking the sabbat for those of us not involved with a coven.
- Revamp your altar. Add plants, flowers, white candles. Add items that celebrate spring!
- Create a sacred space in your garden or a sunny spot on your verandah. Plant new seedlings, install wind chimes or create an outdoor altar.
- Honour the mother earth by visiting the beach, a rain forest or an outdoor area that you feel drawn to. Plant your bare feet on the ground and reconnect with her magnificent energy.
- Perform a ‘Spring Clean’. De-clutter, wipe down all bench tops, walls and doors with a mixture of water, peppermint essential oil and vinegar. Open all doors and windows then perform an energy cleanse using sage or noise such as a bell, clapping or a crystal singing bowl. Walk through each room closing it up as you finish. Start at the rear of your home and work towards the front to sweep any negative energy out the front door. You can perform an incantation as you travel through each room to cleanse and bless.
- Meditate, use the energy of the equinox to recharge and reconnect.
- Host a meal for those you are closest to. Incorporate food and drinks of Ostara such as seeds, leafy greens, spring vegetables, eggs and chocolate. If you eat meat you could utilse young meat such as chicken or lamb, just make sure to show gratitude for their sacrifice. Anything fresh young and vibrant is suitable. Eat outside, take advantage of the warmer days and evenings. Listen to the birds and insects.
- Give an offering of honey or cake to the fae in your garden.
Image Credit: Fred Fields
The full moon will rise in the Southern Hemisphere on the 13th of December at 17.39pm. This will be the final super moon for 2016, so it’s our last chance to take advantage of the additional power this will generate.
This cycle is in the zodiac sign of Gemini. Gemini is a time for new ideas and information. Listen and try to understand what is important. Use this full moon to evaluate what you have learnt this year, be thankful for the blessings that you have received and release what is no longer serving you.
Say goodbye to 2016, a year of lessons and heavy emotions and prepare to welcome 2017, a year of new beginnings and fresh starts.
Perform a cleansing ritual on yourself & your space. Charge your crystals and tools. And bathe in the last powerful moonlight for 2016.
The full moon is the perfect time for not just manifesting but also investing in yourself for a few hours.
My full moon ritual consists of;
Cooking a meal to share with my family, something nourishing that we can be thankful for. For me cooking is a passion, I love getting the balance of flavours just right and enjoy making a meal look appetizing.
I of course take a bath with my beautiful soaks and essential oils. I take this time to think about all of the things that I am thankful for not just from the previous cycle but also my entire life. Even when things are a little bit rocky there is ALWAYS something to be thankful for. If I am having a particularly bad time sometimes I just focus on my breathing and give thanks for that. Twenty minutes of meditating in a bath is enough to ground me, and for me to realise that life’s dramas and problems are never as bad as they first appear.
I take my crystals out to bask in the moon light and recharge. At this time I silently speak to the Mother Earth. Depending on what I am manifesting I may light a candle that has a special meaning to me, either the scent or the colour. Throughout the cycle I will continue to burn the candle to remind me what I am focusing on.
While super moons are common, with between 4 to 6 occurring every year, tonight’s super moon will be the closest that it has been to earth in 70 years. Her pull on the earth is felt even by those who do not believe in her magic, just ask those who work in emergency wards or with small children!
Expect the effects to be magnified! The old saying ‘Be careful what you wish for’ holds significant meaning. Be clear, be positive and be specific. You can’t just say I want a million dollars & expect someone to come knocking on your door! You have to have a clear focus & understand that things take time to manifest.
I dream of owning a little cottage with lush green land all around. A long driveway lined with magnificent trees, a flowing creek. Gardens filled with vegetables, herbs and flowers. Chickens roaming around. Veranda’s with comfy chairs for reading, spaces for art and cooking. All of my favourite things.
I know these things take time, but I believe.
Image source Pintrest